Cookies on The Nenagh Guardian website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the The Nenagh Guardian website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
Hide Message
  • GAA

Burgess down to their final life after defeat to Moycarkey

Thursday, 3rd September, 2020 12:19pm
Burgess down to their final life after defeat to Moycarkey

Burgess' Pat Woods breaks out with the ball safely secured. Photograph: Bridget Delaney

Burgess down to their final life after defeat to Moycarkey

Burgess' Pat Woods breaks out with the ball safely secured. Photograph: Bridget Delaney

GAA: FBD Insurance Tipperary Senior Hurling Relegation Semi-Final


Moycarkey/Borris  1-24

Burgess   1-22


Report: Ed Donnelly in Templederry


The concession of three injury time points saw Burgess head for the senior hurling relegation final as Moycarkey/Borris ensured their safety in following a ding-dong battle on Saturday.

The scores were level on 14 occasions as both sides upped the ante in a high scoring game with survival on offer for the victor. Moycarkey and Burgess shared the opening four points before a Bill O’Flaherty shot for Burgess was well parried by Moycarkey goalie Rhys Shelly at the expense of a point. The sides traded point for point throughout the opening quarter and it was Burgess who led 0-6 to 0-5 at the first half water break.

Moycarkey had the better of exchanges for most of the second quarter, outscoring their opponents 0-5 to 0-1 from the 20th to 27th minute and led 0-11 to 0-9 approaching half-time. A goal chance by Moycarkey’s Kieran Cummins wasn’t converted in injury time and Burgess took full advantage as Stephen Murray pointed four late frees to give his side the interval lead, 0-13 to 0-12.

Four minutes in to the second half, Moycarkey’s Jack Morrissey gathered a long delivery from Eoghan Hayes and was pulled down for a penalty which was converted by Rhys Shelly to put them in front 1-13 to 0-14. Kieran Morris added a pointed free soon afterwards to extend Moycarkey’s lead but to the credit of Burgess, this game was far from over. The North side would score five of the next six points courtesy of Stephen Murray (3), Danny Ryan and Donagh Maher to retake the lead, 0-19 to 1-15 after 45 minutes.

The final quarter offered plenty of twists and turns as both sides looked to get their noses in front. Moycarkey seemed to respond better after the water break and points by Jack Morrissey, John Kirwan and Kieran Morris (2) saw the Mid side lead 1-19 to 0-20 after 53 minutes.

A minute later, Moycarkey were turned over in possession in the middle of the field before Donagh Maher found the unmarked Stephen Murray. The Burgess wing-forward had time to wind up and hit an unstoppable shot to the net to put his side back in front. Moycarkey wing-back Pat Molloy responded almost immediately with a point from play as the game entered the last five minutes.

Burgess looked set for victory when Stephen Murray (free) and Keith Nealon scored points to put them in front by two in the 57th minute. Pat Molloy would reply with another long-range point before Kieran Morris pointed a free in the 61st minute to bring the sides level.

Extra time looked likely as Burgess won a free in their defence in the 64th minute. Ronan Tucker’s long range puck landed at the feet of Burgess sub Sean Dunne and his ground shot was goal-bound before being blocked by Moycarkey full-back Tom Hayes. Eoghan Hayes cleared the danger before passing to Pat Molloy who found Kieran Cummins at half-back, he soloed to midfield and under pressure, hit a long-range point off his left-hand side to put Moycarkey-Borris in front. From the resultant quick puck-out, Moycarkey won possession and Pat Molloy hit another point from play from inside his own half to give his side a two-point victory which minutes earlier had looked unlikely.

Moycarkey-Borris having finished winless from a tough group will be delighted to retain their Dan Breen status for 2021. Their best performers were Eoghan Hayes, Pat Molloy, Jack Morrissey, Jack Bergin and Darren Flood while Niall Heffernan and Kieran Cummins finished strong. Burgess will now take on Éire Óg Annacarty in the Relegation Final. Their best performers were Donagh Maher, Keith Nealon, Stephen Murray, Tony Dunne and Stephen Kirwan.



Player of the Match: John Bergin (Moycarkey/Borris)

Moycarkey/Borris: Rhys Shelly (1-0 pen, 8); James Power (7), Tom Hayes (8), Kevin Hayes (7); Chris McCullagh (6), Eoghan Hayes (8), Pat Molloy (0-3, 8); Niall Heffernan (7), Kieran Cummins (0-1, 7); Max Hackett (0-1, 7), Jack Morrissey (0-2, 8), John Bergin (0-1, 8); Darren Flood (0-2, 7), John Kirwan (0-3, 7), Kieran Morris (0-11, 8f) 8).

Subs: JJ Darmody (6) for McCullagh (48), Conor Hayes (6) for Flood (55).

Burgess: Ronan Tucker (7); Daire Hogan (6), Shane Maher (6), Willie Ryan (7); Johnny Mulqueen (7), Jack Flaherty (7), Tadhg O’Halloran (7); Donagh Maher (0-2, 7), Keith Nealon (0-2, 7); Tony Dunne (0-1, 7), Conor Gill (6), Stephen Murray (1-13, 0-9f, 0-2 65s) 8); Stephen Kirwan (0-2, 7), Bill O’Flaherty (0-1, 6), Danny Ryan (0-1 6).

Subs: Eoin Hogan (6) for Gill (40), Sean Dunne (NR) for Kirwan (60+3).

Referee: John Lillis (Burgess).

Keep up-to-date with the latest news from around the county with an epaper subscription from €2.20*