Cookies on The Nenagh Guardian website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the The Nenagh Guardian website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
Hide Message
  • GAA

Tipp blitz Waterford in final quarter to earn second win

Sunday, 19th May, 2019 4:47pm
Jump to comments
Tipp blitz Waterford in final quarter to earn second win
Tipp blitz Waterford in final quarter to earn second win



Tipperary     2-30

Waterford     0-18


By Shane Brophy at Semple Stadium


A final quarter scoring blitz by Tipperary saw them rout Waterford and get within touching distance of making the All Ireland Series following a comprehensive victory at Semple Stadium today.

The eighteen point margin doesn’t tell the full story as on 51 minutes, just three points separated the sides (0-20 to 0-17) after Waterford dictated the third period, despite being down to fourteen men after Conor Gleeson was sent off before half time.

However, a Jason Forde goal on 54 minutes broke the Waterford spirit as Tipp outscored the Deise 1-10 to 0-1 in the final 25 minutes, including injury time to take a decisive step towards the next stage.

Tipperary began the match in lightning fashion as they did against Cork and had four points on the board in as many minutes from Jason Forde, Michael Breen and two from John O’Dwyer, to just one Waterford response from a Paraic Mahony free.

Thomas Ryan reduced the arrears for the visitors but with Padraic Maher left in isolation and the backs tight, Tipp were able to use the ball they got effectively with Breen adding his second before Stephen Bennett hit back for Waterford.

Tipperary pushed on with John McGrath and Jason Forde (65) stretching the lead to four before Jamie Barron scored a fine individual point for Waterford.

The skill on this Tipperary team was in full view in the 15th & 19th minutes when Jason Forde and Ronan Maher both cut over sideline cuts, Forde’s from 55 yards with Maher going better from almost centre field with Noel McGrath adding a long range free to leave Tipp 0-10 to 0-4 in front after 20 minutes.

Tipperary were conceding the short puckout but pressurising everything Waterford did from there, despite Ryan and Mahony reducing the arrears from play before they were cancelled out by points from John McGrath, Forde and a third Michael Breen point from play.

Prior to that point, Seamus Callanan and Waterford’s Conor Gleeson were both booked following an off the ball incident and that yellow card proved costly for the Deise man a minute later as he hauled down Patrick Maher on route to goal and was given a second yellow card, with Jason Forde slotting over the free to stretch the Tipp lead to eight.

However, the remainder of the half saw Waterford fight back with Tadhg de Burca, Austin Gleeson cancel out scores from John McGrath and a third O’Dwyer point following a super move with John McGrath.

Pauric Mahony converted two late frees, the second after Patrick Curran was unlucky to see a goal chance come back off the post and roll clear only for Stephen Bennett to win a free as Tipp led 0-16 to 0-10 at the break.

Waterford carried that momentum into the second half and despite an early Ronan Maher point, the visitors took the game to Tipp, forcing frees, of which Pauric Mahony converted two, added to points from Austin Gleeson and Tommy Ryan to cut the margin to four.

John O’Dwyer, Jason Forde (free) and John McGrath kept Tipp ticking over but two further Mahony frees had Waterford believing a miracle recovery was on. However, a relieving point from Noel McGrath was added to by Forde’s goal on 54 minutes, again following a lovely flick by John O’Dwyer as the move looked like it would break down.

From there Tipp pressed on and as Waterford’s heads dropped, the Premier men built up a healthy victory which will do their score difference no harm if it requires it with sub Barry Heffernan, Forde (3), Breen (3), John McGrath and Jake Morris adding points while Seamus Callanan’s injury time goal was the icing on the cake for a Tipp side that sit top of the table after two games and look forward to facing Clare in Ennis in two weeks time.



Man of the Match: Jason Forde (Tipperary)

SCORERS – Tipperary: Jason Forde 1-9 (0-2 frees, 0-1 65, 0-1 s-cut); Michael Breen 0-6; John McGrath 0-5; John O’Dwyer 0-4; Seamus Callanan 1-0; Ronan Maher (1 s-cut), Noel McGrath (1 free) 0-2 each; Barry Heffernan, Jake Morris 0-1 each.

Waterford: Pauric Mahony 0-9 (7 frees); Thomas Ryan 0-3; Austin Gleeson 0-2; Tadhg de Burca, Stephen Bennett, Brian O’Halloran, Jamie Barron 0-1 each.


TEAMS – Tipperary: Brian Hogan; Cathal Barrett, James Barry, Alan Flynn; Ronan Maher, Padraic Maher, Brendan Maher; Noel McGrath, Michael Breen; Dan McCormack, Seamus Callanan, Patrick Maher; Jason Forde, John O’Dwyer, John McGrath.

Subs: Barry Heffernan for B Maher (HT); Robert Byrne for McCormack (48); Willie Connors for N McGrath (60); Jake Morris for O’Dwyer (66); Ger Browne for Patrick Maher (69).

Waterford: Stephen O’Keeffe; Calum Lyons, Conor Gleeson, Noel Connors; Philip Mahony, Conor Prunty, Tadhg de Burca; Jamie Barron, Kevin Moran; Jack Prendergast, Pauric Mahony, Austin Gleeson; Thomas Ryan, Stephen Bennett, Patrick Curran.

Subs: Shane McNulty for C Gleeson (11-15 blood); Maurice Shanahan for Curran (HT); Shane Bennett for Bennett (50); Kieran Bennett for Philip Mahony (56 inj); Shane McNulty for Lyons (56-59 blood); Brian O’Halloran for Pauric Mahony (62); Colin Dunford for Prendergast (66).

Referee: John Keenan (Wicklow)

Keep up-to-date with the latest news from around the county with an epaper subscription from €2.20*