Tipp fall to Cork in Minor Hurling Championship

GAA: Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship Round 3

Cork 2-13

Tipperary 1-8

Report: Liam Hogan in Pairc Ui Chaoimh


Player of the Match: Barry Walsh (Cork)

SCORERS – Cork: Barry Walsh 1-4 (1-0 pen, 0-2 frees); Barry O’Flynn 1-2; Johnny Murphy, Finn O’Brien 0-2 each; Conor McCarthy, Jayden Casey 0-1 each.

Tipperary: Jack Hayes 0-3; Stefan Tobin 1-0; Sam Rowan, Robbie Ryan (frees) 0-2 each; Leigh Loughnane 0-1 free.

Tipperary lost their second game in the Munster Minor Hurling Championship when losing to a more physical Cork side at a rainy Pairc Ui Chaoimh on Tuesday evening.

Held scoreless for the opening 21 minutes, Tipperary left themselves with too much to do once they found their groove in the third quarter when they cut a nine-point deficit back to two with seventeen minutes remaining.

Cork appeared to have lost some of their confidence but when they converted a harshly awarded penalty in the 46th minute, there was only one outcome on view and the home side finished the job to claim a deserving victory, their second from two games.

Tipperary, with one change from the starting fifteen against Clare in the opening round saw Jack Lahart come in for Ciaran Byrne and were under pressure from the first moment when Cork corner back Oier O’Callaghan soloed up field in the opening seconds which led to Barry Walsh pointing a free for Cork. The Tipp defence remained under pressure and appeared to have things under control until wing forward Johnny Murphy doubled the lead in the seventh minute.

And while there was the odd supply of long ball for the Tipp forwards after clearances by Oisin O’Donoghue, Darragh Linnane and Shane Buckley, there was nothing sticking up front. Cork had no such worries, and the scores came quickly as Sean Meade scored followed by one each from Johnny Murphy before Finn O’Brien.

Further Cork pressure saw the Tipp defence buckling in the fifteenth minute with Zack Biggane firing after a good run. The ball rebounded and Barry O’Flynn fired low to the back of the net after Tipp full back Evan Morris had his short clearance intercepted on forty. Cork increased their lead with a Barry Walsh free making it 1-6 to zero on seventeen minutes.

Tipp appeared to be trouble but excellent stickwork by Jack Hayes saw the Moycarkey/Borris clubman score in the 21st minute. Conor McCarthy’s replied from midfield but two pointed frees by Robbie Ryan made the scoreboard look more acceptable from Tipp point of view and at 1-7 to 0-3 the teams went back to their dressing rooms for the half time break.

Tipperary were late returning for the second half but whatever was said in the dressing room worked as half time substitute Stefan Tobin had the Cork net shaking after just 27-seconds with a superb individual goal. Jack Hayes added a point in the 34th minute but the excellent Barry O’Flynn replied with a great point two minutes later.

Tipp looked more settled, and Sam Rowan narrowed the gap with a great point before Jack Hayes, Tipp’s best forward, reached high to claim a Darragh Linnane clearance before turning his marker and scoring. The scoreline at Cork 1-8 Tipp 1-6 was a massive improvement.

Cork looked troubled but Barry Walsh scored another great score from the left touchline. Tipp responded and Jack Hayes won possession again and choose to fire low which was saved by a Cork defender. Hayes might have been wiser to find support provided by Stefan Tobin. As a result, Cork quickly turned defence into attack and Barry O’Flynn cut the Tipp defence open before he was tripped by Oisin O’Donoghue outside the large square, however, referee Seaghan Walsh signalled a penalty and Barry Walsh found the back of the net.

The goal was a huge boost to Cork, and they followed up with three points through Barry Walsh, Finn O’Brien, and Barry O’Flynn. With free-taker Robbie Ryan replaced, it was Leigh Loughnane who was on place-ball duty, and he scored Tipp’s first in ten minutes.

However, Cork were firing on all cylinders as substitute Jayden Casey scored their final point in the 57th minute and with the game coming to a close Tipp scored one last time through Sam Rowan.

TEAMS - Cork: Oisin Walsh; Oier O’Callaghan, Darragh McCarthy, Carthaigh Cronin; Cillian O’Callaghan, Ben Walsh, David O’Leary; James O’Leary, Conor McCarthy; Johnny Murphy, Zack Biggane, Barry Walsh; Sean Meade, Barry O’Flynn, Finn O’Brien.

Subs: Jayden Casey for Meade (37); Ronan Dooley for Biggane (43); Conor McCarthy for Murphy (54); Brian Lynch for B Walsh (58); Kristian O’Gorman for J O’Leary (58).

Tipperary: Harry Loughnane (Roscrea); Sean Nash (St. Patrick’s), Evan Morris (Holycross/Ballycahill), Jack Lahart (Holycross/Ballycahill); Cian Ryan (Moneygall), Oisin O’Donoghue (Cashel King Cormacs), Darragh Linnane (Mullinahone); Keith Loughnane (Durlas Og), Shane Buckley (Knockavilla Kickhams); David Costigan (Moycarkey/Borris), Sam Rowan (Mullinahone), Jamie Ormond (JK Brackens, Capt); Jack Hayes (Moycarkey/Borris), Robbie Ryan (Holycross/Ballycahill), Adam Ryan (Arravale Rovers).

Subs: Stefan Tobin (Carrick Swan) for A Ryan (HT); Leigh Loughnane (Roscrea) for Buckley (40); Ciaran Byrne (Golden Kilfeacle) for Nash (48); Colm Kennedy (Sean Treacys) for R Ryan (54); Toby Corbett (Upperchurch/Drombane) for C Ryan (60).

Referee: Seaghan O’Leary (Waterford).