Silvermines’ Bryan Seymour is challenged by Kiladangan’s Ronan Ducie. Photo: Bridget Delaney

Silvermines progress after penalty drama

Silvermines 2-25

Kiladangan 3-22

(After Extra Time, Silvermines win 2-1 on pens)

Report: Liam Hogan in Cloughjordan

Opinions are very much divided as to whether games that end in a draw should require a replay or ask both teams to play extra time. They are even more divided when penalties are used to decide a winner.

Such a way of determining the outcome was required in Cloughjordan last Saturday when Kiladangan and Silvermines could not be divided after eighty-plus minutes of action in what was the first ever game in the new North Premier Intermediate Championship.

In the end it was Silvermines who held their nerve as Darragh Nolan’s conversion gave the ‘Mines the win as they won 2-1 with their hero being goalkeeper David Shanahan who seved three of Kiladangan’s shot. Darren Ryan converted their first effort which matched Conor McKelvey with Nolan’s strike proving to be decisive.

Darragh Egan was the Kiladangan hero earlier as he scored two goals from placed balls to keep his side in the hunt after they had fallen five points in arrears by half time of extra time, 2-23 to 1-21.

The second Egan goal had brought Kiladangan level 3-21 to 2-24 with two minutes left. Then Eoghan Sharkey grabbed what looked like the winner in the fourth minute of added time before Orris Quirke saved the day with a monster score almost on the stroke of time.

Silvermines finished the winners in the end but even their most fervent of supporters would admit that they were lucky to get back into the game especially towards the end of normal time when Kiladangan looked like as if they would provide a surprise of the day as they led by six points going into injury time.

Once again, Silvermines can thank Jason Forde. The Tipperary star scored a cool 1-19 and his goal from a free on the hour mark started the fightback.

But earlier in the game, Kiladangan, who entered the game short the services of John O’Meara and Darragh Butler who were held over for their senior team on Sunday, took little time in stamping their authority on the game as they raced into a 0-4 to 0-1 lead by the fifth minute.

Silvermines, who were depending on Jason Forde, fought back to draw level by the 12th minute at 0-6 each. Then four minutes later Ciaran Kelly scored a goal and with Shane Gleeson and Conor Byrne on target the Blue and Gold were deserving of their 1-11 to 0-8 half time lead.

Orrie Quirke’s point from play plus two Jason Forde scores had the ‘Mines within three by the 37th minute. Points by Shane Gleeson and Eoghan Sharkey had Kiladangan five in front within a minute, and from there the game went almost point for point until the 57th minute when Kiladangan moved six in front after points by Paddy Coen and Eoghan Sharkey made it 1-20 to 0-17.

It looked all over bar the shouting, but Forde struck gold with a close range free in the 58th minute. Further ‘Mines pressure came but a mix-up in the Kiladangan defence allowed Ger Leamy to drive low from close range and force extra time on a scoreline of Kiladangan 1-20 Silvermines 2-17.

Silvermines were quick to avail of their reprieve as Jason Forde scored five unanswered points, including four frees. As a result, the extra time half time score stood at Silvermines 2-22 Kiladangan 1-20.

After the final changeover, Darragh Egan pointed a free for Kiladangan. Conor McKelvey replied from play before Egan scored a goal from a penalty in the 16th minute. And after Jason Forde replied with a point it was Egan on target again with another goal, this time from a close range free to level.

Eoghan Sharkey followed up with what looked like the winner, but Orrie Quirke used all of his experience to force the game into penalties where lady luck shone on Silvermines.

Player of the Match: Jason Forde (Silvermines)

Silvermines: David Shanahan (7); Eddie Ryan (7), Ronan Sherlock (7), Michael Hogan (7); Luke O’Brien (7), Darragh Nolan (7), Darragh McKelvey (7); Andy Hayden (6), Michael Corcoran (7); Conor McKelvey (0-2, 7), Bryan Seymour (6), Jason Forde (1-19, 1-10f, 0-2 65s, 0-1 s-cut) 9); Oisin Murphy (6), Orrie Quirke (0-3, 7), Colin O’Brien (0-1, 6).

Subs: Ger Leamy (1-0, 7) for Hayden (40); Pa Leamy (6) for O’Brien (60+3); Andy Hayden for Corcoran (1 ET)

Kiladangan: Darragh Egan (2-1, 1-0 pen, 1-1f) 8); Jack McGrath (7), Shane Seymour (7), Paddy Gallagher (7), DJ McGrath (0-1, 7), Ruairi Gleeson (7), Ronan Ducie (6); Conor Byrne (0-2, 7), Martin Minehan (0-2, 7); Bill Cleary (6), Shane Gleeson (0-6, 2f) 6), Neil Cahalan (0-1, 6); Ciaran Kelly (1-3, 7), Eoghan Sharkey (0-3, 7), Darren Ryan (0-2, 1f) 6).

Subs: Paul Seymour (6) for Cahalan (50); Eoin Meagher (6) for Cleary (50); Paddy Coen (0-1, 6) for Ryan (54); Tom McLoughlin (6) for R Gleeson (4 ET); Darren Ryan for S Gleeson (11 ET); Neil Cahalan for Byrne (20+1 ET).

Referee: Peter Carroll (Burgess).