Kiladangan’s Sean Hayes tussles for possession with Moycarkey/Borris’ Bill Maher. Photo: Odhran Ducie

Kiladangan sunk by last gasp Moycarkey goal

GAA: FBD Insurance County Under 21 ‘A’ Hurling Semi-Final

Moycarkey-Borris 1-15

Kiladangan 2-9

Report: Michael Dundon in Toomevara

A goal conceded two minutes from time ended Kiladangan’s hopes of a County Under 21 ‘A’ Hurling title, as they succumbed to a determined Moycarkey/Borris in the semi-final on Sunday.

Many fancied Kiladangan to lift the crown but Moycarkey-Borris, buoyed by a big win over Drom & Inch in the Mid final, were relentless in their pursuit of their rivals who had made the running most of the way.

The loss of Paul Seymour to a second yellow card early in the last quarter was to prove Kiladangan’s undoing in the extremely testing conditions that prevailed.

Kiladangan were slow off the mark and found themselves 0-6 to 0-2 in arrears at the first water break, but they really took a grip on the game in the second quarter.

Shane Gleeson added two points to his earlier brace, three from frees, and Sean Hayes had another leaving them just two adrift of their rivals who had a Jack Fallon point on resuming but in the 22nd minute Sean Hayes pounced for a Kiladangan goal after Paul Seymour’s initial effort was blocked.

That put the North champions ahead, 1-5 to 0-7 and though Moycarkey got back level, Kiladangan bagged a second goal after 28 minutes, when Moycarkey goalie Rhys Shelley was judged to have lain on the ball in his square and from the resulting penalty, Shane Gleeson made no mistake.

Leading 2-6 to 0-10 at half-time, and having enjoyed a very productive second quarter, Kiladangan looked well placed to succeed and a hard-fought third quarter saw neither side improve their standing, four points being shared in a contest that was becoming somewhat fractious, with referee Sean Lonergan issuing four yellow cards in two separate incidents within minutes of each other.

Moycarkey had a goal disallowed for an infringement of the square just before the second water break which saw Kiladangan maintaining their two-point lead, 2-8 to 0-12.

The last quarter belonged to Moycarkey. Jack Fallon pointed on resuming and then Kiladangan were down to fourteen players, Paul Seymour getting his second yellow card. In the testing conditions being a man short in so tight a game, proved too much.

Even allowing for some lapses from placed balls, Moycarkey levelled through Fallon but Sean Hayes responded for Kiladangan only for Fallon to again level.

Extra time was looking most likely as Kiladangan fought to contain the growing Moycarkey surge. Shane Gleeson was off target with free for the North lads and then, in yet another Moycarkey raid, Joe Maher got the vital touch for the goal that sent them through to the final against Mullinahone.

It was heart-breaking for Kiladangan who were left to rue missed chances from play and frees. They made a mighty effort but their lack of real attacking power was crucial, Shane Gleeson shooting 1-5 from placed balls with only 1-4 coming from play.

However, there is a lot of talent in this team which augurs well for the club in senior ranks in the years to come. Shane Gleeson was their scorer-in-chief, with Sean Hayes, Darragh Flannery, Jack McGrath, and D J McGrath also doing well.

It was Moycarkey/Borris’ day and they will make a bold bid for county honours. Jack Fallon had a mighty game for them as did Darren Flood in the role of sweeper. The Shelley brothers, Rhys & Kyle, Joe Maher, Peter Melbourne and Tom Ryan were others to shine.

Player of the Match: Jack Fallon (Moycarkey-Borris).

Moycarkey-Borris: Rhys Shelley (0-1f, 6); Bill Maher (6), Peter Melbourne (7), Kyle Ryan (6); Cathal Corcoran (6), Tom Ryan (7), Rory Dermody (6); Stephen Walsh (6), Jack Fallon (0-5, 2f) 8); Brendan Looby (6), Max Hackett (6), Kyle Shelley (0-7, 5f, 7); Jack Morrissey (0-1, 6), Joe Maher (1-1, 7), Darren Flood (7).

Sub: Diarmuid Maher (6) for Looby (45).

Kiladangan: Neil Cahalan (6); John O’Meara (6), Darragh Butler (6), Darragh Ryan (6); Conor Culhane (6), Darragh Flannery (7), Jack McGrath (7); Conor Byrne (6), Shane Gleeson (1-6, 1-0 pen, 0-5) 7); Bill Cleary (6), Matthew Cleary (6), DJ McGrath (7); Bryan McLoughney (0-1, 6), Paul Seymour (6), Sean Hayes (1-2, 7).

Subs: Johnny McGrath (6) for B Cleary (50); Conor Sheehan (6) for Byrne (50).

Referee: Sean Lonergan (Moyle Rovers).