NTDL’s Gerry Larkin presents the Ricky Fogarty Cup to Nenagh Celtic captain Michael Hynes.

Double joy for Nenagh Celtic

Nenagh Celtic completed a league and cup double as they edged past Borroway Rovers to win the Ricky Fogarty Cup final on Saturday evening.

Nenagh Celtic 1

Borroway Rovers 0

By Gary Culbert in Moneygall

The previous Wednesday, Nenagh Celtic saw off Killavilla United in a thriller to book their place in the final.

Killavilla were one up at half-time and doubled their lead shortly after the interval. However, you can never rule Nenagh Celtic out. Paul Walsh pulled one back before Brian Mitchell stole the show from the 60-minute mark; the young winger displayed incredible pace, finishing, and awareness beyond his years to score; not one, not two, but three goals to send Celtic into the final.

Celtic almost had the dream start to the decider when a looping pass from midfield bounced over the Borroway keeper and hit the crossbar. The league champions did not have to wait long for their next opportunity when they were awarded a penalty, Peter Hynes blatantly pushed in the back and the in-form Brian Mitchell confidently stepped up, but his low effort struck the left post and went wide.

Borroway Rovers were more comfortable in possession and their link-up play and flair towards the top end of the pitch was impressive, but they just lacked the final ingredient to unlock the stubborn Nenagh defense. Celtic’s main threat was the ball into the feet of Paul Walsh or Jimmy Hynes, who would play Brian Mitchell in behind.

The Thurles side had much more possession in the first half and they looked more likely to kick-on in the second period, but Celtic knew that all they needed was a sniff of a chance. They went close early in the second half, but on 55 minutes – following a tactical change - Celtic got their half-chance and took it.

Sean Healy played the ball to Jimmy Hynes on the left touch-line forty yards from goal. The experienced striker sucked in James King before knocking the ball passed, leaving him for dust. Hynes made his way towards the box he played a neat one-two with Michael Hynes, but the return ball from the midfielder favoured the defender but somehow Jimmy Hynes was able to get a toe to the ball and poke it into the corner of the net.

Borroway Rovers pushed forward in search of an equaliser, but they never really put Celtic under any serious strain; and in truth, they did not look like scoring.

For Nenagh Celtic, Brian Mitchell’s pace and Paul Walsh’s strength were both used to great effect to get the Nenagh men up the pitch, whilst the experience of all three Hynes’s was absolutely crucial in securing a historic league and cup double for the club.

Nenagh Celtic: Davy Walsh; Alan Kelly, Sean Healy, Christopher Ryan, Jamie Kelly; Brian Mitchell, Michael Hynes, Peter Hynes, Killian Fennell; Jimmy Hynes, Paul Walsh.

Subs: Craig Gleeson on for Fennell (50); Tadgh McCarthy for Kelly (80).

Borroway Rovers: Gordon Carey; James King, Darren McGuire, Cormac O’Connor, David McGuire; Shane Dunne, Seamus Woodlock, Aaron Cullen, Tommy McGuire; Callum O’Connor, Jake Moore.

Subs: Jamie Ferncombe for Woodlock (70), Aaron Ryan for Cullen (78); Gary Dunne for McGuire (85).

Referee: Eoin O’Shea.