Cookies on The Nenagh Guardian website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the The Nenagh Guardian website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
Hide Message
  • GAA

Ballinahinch dig deep to reach Intermediate hurling quarters

Thursday, 20th August, 2020 12:12pm
Ballinahinch dig deep to reach Intermediate hurling quarters

Drom & Inch's Kevin Butler and Ballinahinch Paddy Kelly during the "FBD Insurance" County Intermediate Hurling Championship "Group 1" Round 2 Ballinahinch vs Drom & Inch at Templederry, 8th August 2020.

Ballinahinch dig deep to reach Intermediate hurling quarters

Drom & Inch's Kevin Butler and Ballinahinch Paddy Kelly during the "FBD Insurance" County Intermediate Hurling Championship "Group 1" Round 2 Ballinahinch vs Drom & Inch at Templederry, 8th August 2020.

GAA: FBD Insurance Tipperary Intermediate Hurling Championship Round-Up



By Liam Hogan



Ballinahinch 1-19 Moyne Templetuohy 0-21

Davie Gleeson was Ballinahinch’s savour with his injury time winner putting Ballinahinch into the last eight following their thrilling victory over Moyne-Templetuohy in Borrisoleigh on Sunday.

The odds were very much stacked against Ballinahinch. Injury problems were mounting all the time and they had to run without Donnacha McGrath, Sean Ryan and Brendan Ryan. Shane McGrath was a major doubt as the former Tipp All-Ireland winner had broken a toe in their second round defeat to Drom & Inch the previous week but he played at wing forward and contributed a significant amount of scores as did Kevin Mulcahy and Kevin Fitzpatrick.

John Foley grabbed the game’s only goal in the first quarter and that was the cushion the North side had on reaching the first water break when Ballinahinch led 1-5 to 0-6. By half time the lead had increased to two, but Moyne recovered and by the second water break they were level, 1-14 to 0-17.

Conor Bowe was Moyne’s top scorer as their front eight each scored sixteen points coming from play. In the final quarter it was score for score with Ballinahinch taking the lead each time only to see Moyne restore parity before Gleeson got the winner in added time.

With Drom & Inch only recording a two-point win over bottom side Moyle Rovers, Ballinahinch make the knockout stages on score difference, joining Moyne-Templetuohy.

Ballinahinch: Cormac McGrath; Frank Troy, Tom Grace, Cathal Ryan; Kevin Fitzpatrick, Darragh McGrath, Paddy Kelly; Ger Grace, Brian Keane; Shane McGrath, Kevin Meade, Karl Kelly; Davie Gleeson, John Foley, Adam Ryan. Sub: Joey Kelly for Foley. 

Moyne-Templetuohy: Paul Maher; Eoin Gorman, Ciaran Lloyd, Joe Grady; Ciaran Larkin, Tomas Hamill 0-1, Niall Russell; Thomas Hassett (0-3), Diarmuid Leahy (0-1); Tom Meade, Gearoid O’Connor (0-2f), Conor Bowe (0-4); Martin Kelly (0-3f), Damian Cantwell (0-2), Diarmuid Fogarty (0-1). Sub: Shane Lowe for Russell (50).



Borrisokane 1-24 Knockavilla Kickhams 2-21

A Conor Ryan equaliser helped Borrisokane to a share of the spoils with Knockavilla Kickhams in Borrisoleigh last Saturday.

With both teams assured of a place in the knockout stages it was a race for positions one and two and both teams served up an exciting contest.

Both sides took turns at dominating with five points the biggest margin separating the teams. Both sides were at 0-2 each with six minutes gone it was Borrisokane who went four in front by the 12th minute after Philip Austin made it 0-6 to 0-2.

Throughout the next ten minutes, Knockavilla Kickhams took over. With three points in as many minutes through Devon Ryan, Brendan Ryan and Ger Browne it was a Shane Morrissey goal in the 15th minute that had the West men 1-5 to 0-6 in front.

Oisin Larkin replied with his second score for Borrisokane but three more Knockavilla scores moved them 1-8 to 0-7 in front after 23 minutes. 

Jack Larkin’s free a minute later ended Borrisokane barren spell of eight minutes but Knockavilla went four clear as play reached the thirty-minute mark. Yet there was enough time for both Garry Ryan and Roan Murphy to reduce the deficit to two with the half time score line 1-10 to 0-11 in favour of Knockavilla.

The West men continued to lead until Conor Ryan’s goal to make it 1-14 each after 38 minutes. After Ger Browne had the team’s level for the third time in four minutes at 1-16 each it was Jack Larkin two points, the second from play plus one each from Conor Ryan and Philip Austin that put Borris in a commanding position.

Niall O’Brien reduced matters but Philip Austin (his fourth) and Jack Larkin with his seventh that had Borris five clear for the first time with five minutes remaining. Not to be outdone the marvellous Ger Browne hit back with a goal. The very accurate Devon Ryan added a pointed free before two Ger Browne scores had the team’s level after three minutes of injury time.

It was a matter of time now and it looked as if Devon Ryan had sealed matters with his eleventh score but Conor Ryan had the final say bringing an end to a very good contest and allowing his team top position in the group because of their better score difference.

Borrisokane: Luke Gleeson; Shane Nevin, Eddie O’Dwyer, Brian Davis (0-3, 1f); Shane Stapleton, Stephen Gavin, Roan Murphy (0-1); Liam Cleary (0-1), Michael Heenan; Philip Austin (0-4), Michael Kelly, Conor Ryan (1-2); Oisin Larkin (0-2), Gary Ryan (0-3), Jack Larkin (0-8, 6f). Sub: Andy Austin for M Heenan (36).

Knockavilla Kickhams: Aaron Browne; Kieran Breen, Nathan Ryan, Ben Loughman; Darragh Browne, Ger Browne (1-6), Johnny Ryan; Shane Morrissey (1-0), Eamon McCormack; Michael McCormack, Devon Ryan (0-11, 7f), Brendan Ryan (0-1); Paudie Slattery (0-1), David Butler (0-1), Stephen Browne. Subs used: Walter Carroll, Ger Dwyer, Niall O’Brien (0-1).



Shannon Rovers 3-19 Ballybacon/Grange 2-17

Shannon Rovers left all their good wine till last but not enough to secure them a place in the last eight despite their five-point win over Ballybacon/Grange in Templetuohy last Saturday.

They arrived knowing they needed a win by a big margin while at the same time hoping Boherlahan-Dualla would do likewise but by a much smaller one against Cappawhite. Both sides won but Rovers needed to win by at least eight.

That margin looked very much on the cards in the opening half as Rovers tore the form book to shreds with two Austin Tierney goals, the first after twelve minutes with the second arriving in added time to see the Rovers 2-14 to 1-8 in front at half time. On reaching the 30th minute Rovers led by eleven points, but the lead was cut by three when Oisin Ryan made most of Rovers failure to clear adequately.

Within six minutes of the resumption Ballybacon were back in the race thanks to three unanswered points, the first from a Brendan Cummins 65 closely followed by two more from Aaron Lonergan and Alex Kirwan.

Brendan Cummins was next up with a free (his fourth score) before Austin Tierney and Conal Moran made it 2-16 to 1-12 after 43 minutes. Cummins scored two more frees plus a 65 to cut the margin down to three with four minutes left.

Alan Hannigan edged Rovers four clear and following two saves by Rovers goalkeeper Vincent Mulvihill it was Conal Moran who moved Rovers five clear in added time. Rovers needed another score at least but were brought back down to earth when Alex Kirwan found the net from close range. Within thirty seconds Conal Moran had Rovers three clear with his fourth major before Michael O’Sullivan found the target at the other end. Rovers came in search of another score and realising they needed a goal it was Alan Hogan’s well struck free from 25 metres that fitted the bill. Another ninety seconds elapsed as Rovers tried for one more score, but nothing accrued and with news of Boherlahan winning by three points against Cappawhite Rovers realised they were destined to stay in third place. No place in the knockout stages but happy to survive trouble at the relegation end of things. Such a fine line.

Shannon Rovers: Vincent Mulvihill; Emmett Moran, George Hannigan, James O’Sullivan; Conor Ryan, Alan Byrne, Jack O’Sullivan; Conal Moran (0-4), Alan Hannigan (0-1); Alan Hogan (1-4f), Eamon Hough (0-2), Matt Tierney; Andy Byrne (-3), Austin Tierney (2-2), Marcus Esmonde (0-2). Subs: Michael Tierney for Esmonde (55), Padraig O’Meara for Hough (55); Michael Slattery for C Ryan (60+1).

Ballybacon/Grange: Brendan Cummins (0-7, 5f, 2 ‘65); Colm O’Shaughnessy, Eoin Walsh, Philip Walsh; Colin O’Gorman, Sean Nagle, Michael Barlow; Michael O’Sullivan, Gavin Whelan (0-1); Gerry Cronin, Billy Hewitt, Philip Murphy (0-1); Aaron Lonergan (0-6, 4f), Tom Kirwan, Oisin Ryan (1-0). Subs: Philip Murphy for O Ryan (36); Alex Kirwan (1-1) for Whelan (57 inj).



Gortnahoe/Glengoole 2-22 Moneygall 2-7

Top of group 4 with impressive victories in their first two games, an under strength Moneygall were brought crashing down with a 15-point defeat against Gortnahoe- Glengoole in Templemore on Sunday.

Moneygall got off to a great start, with 1-2 on the board in the first five minutes, a goal from Ciaran Quinlan, and points from Adam Hogan and Bob Kenny.

But a goal from Fionn Cleary and a point from Keane Hayes settled Gortnahoe, and though Eoin Whyte pointed for Moneygall, after eleven minutes, it turned out to be their last score of the half. Gortnahoe dominated the remainder of the half, and were six points clear, 1-9 to 1-3 at the interval.

The previous games saw Moneygall take control in the second half, but it was not to be. An early point from Adam Hogan could not be built on, and when Fionn Cleary’s second goal made it 2-10 to 1-4 after 39 minutes, it was looking very ominous.

Gortnahoe continued to dominate, and when Willie Greene got Moneygall’s second goal with four minutes left, to make it 2-19 to 2-7, a late rally would not turn the tide. They did find the net a third time, but it was disallowed, and Gortnahoe finished with a flurry of points.

Gortnahoe/Glengoole: Timmy Dunne, Philly Purcell, Davy Nolan, Enda McCarthy, Brian Maher (0-2), Martin Barnaville, Karl Campion, Aidan Guilfoyle, Jack Moore (0-1), Ronan Teehan, Fionn Cleary (2-2), Shay Butler (0-2), Gearoid Fahey, Adrian Maher (0-1), Keane Hayes (0-14).

Moneygall: Mark Fanning, Liam Carroll, Phil Fanning, Jack Kirwan, Conor Ryan, Brendan Toohey, Roddy Teehan, Willie Greene (1-0), Eoin Whyte (0-1), Adam Hogan (0-2), Ger Kirwan (0-1), Brendan Teehan, Joe Fogarty (0-1), Ciaran Quinlan (1-0), Bob Kenny (0-2). Sub Cathal Kennedy for Ryan.


The draw for the County Intermediate Hurling Championship quarter finals took place on Monday night and were as follows: Borrisokane v Boherlahan-Dualla; Ballybacon/Grange v Knockavilla Kickhams; Moyne-Templetuohy v Moneygall; Gortnahoe/Glengoole v Ballinahinch.

The games will be played on the weekend of 29-30 August, along with the relegation semi-finals between Moyle Rovers v Cappawhite and Galtee Rovers v Golden Kilfeacle or Kilsheelan/Kilcash whose game last weekend was postponed and will be re-fixed.

Keep up-to-date with the latest news from around the county with an epaper subscription from €2.20*