Cookies on The Nenagh Guardian website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the The Nenagh Guardian website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
Hide Message
  • GAA

Tipp schools get back on track

Thursday, 8th November, 2018 12:16pm

Story by Shane Brophy
Jump to comments
Tipp schools get back on track

Bryan McLoughney scored 1-13 in Nenagh CBS' win over Ardscoil Ris. PHOTO: BRIDGET DELANEY

Tipp schools get back on track

Bryan McLoughney scored 1-13 in Nenagh CBS' win over Ardscoil Ris. PHOTO: BRIDGET DELANEY

After a disappointing opening round of the Munster Post Primary Schools Senior 'A' Hurling – Dr Harty Cup in which both Tipperary schools in action tasted defeat, round 2 proved to be in complete contrast with a clean sweep of victories for the premier county last week.

Firstly, Nenagh CBS bounced back from an opening round loss to hand defending champions Ardscoil Ris a significant 2-23 to 3-12 defeat in this group in Newport.

The North Tipperary men were hugely disappointing in their thirteen point loss to St Colman’s of Fermoy and knew another defeat would spell the end of their hopes of progressing to the quarter finals

And with their backs to the wall, Nenagh produced a superb performance, particularly from the fifteenth minute onwards after the Limerick side dominated the early stages and opened a four point lead on eight minutes with the help of a smashing Conor Bourke goal.

Nenagh struggled in attack early on with Bryan McLoughney contributing their first five points (all from frees) by the quarter hour in what would be a bittersweet day for the corner forward who finished with a haul of 1-13.

His fifth free cut the margin to two when Nenagh suddenly found their rhythm going onto add three points from play through Sean Hayes (2) and McLoughney to take the lead before they scored their first goal in the 20th minute as a Conor O’Brien’s long range shot dropped short but Kian O’Kelly managed to put Ardscoil keeper Cillian O’Brien off as the ball landed in the net.

Points from Kevin McCarthy (2) and McLoughney helped Nenagh into a six point lead but Ardscoil Ris stemmed the tide on 25 minutes when Sean Connolly goaled and with Emmet McEvoy pointing, cut the deficit to two at half time, 1-11 to 2-6.

With the fresh breeze at their backs to come, the holders looked to be well positioned and were quickly level after the resumption with point from Conor Bourke and Cathal O’Neill. However, Limerick minor star O’Neill had an off day, shooting nine wides, five from frees, but when he goaled on 40 minutes to put his side in front, Ardscoil Ris looked to have timed their move.

Nenagh dug in impressively and reeled off 1-5 without reply over the next six minutes, 1-3 from the outstanding McLoughney, but his day ended prematurely on 48 minutes as he was given a straight red card after connecting with the head of John McSweeney under a dropping ball with the Limerick defender forced off.

However, Ardscoil Ris never looked like taking advantage of the extra man, scoring just one point from then on through Colin Coughlan in added time as Nenagh added four more to record a hugely significant win and also repairing much of the score difference damage from their opening day loss in the process.

Cork rivals St Colman's Fermoy and Gaelcholaiste Mhuire AG North Mon face eachother in the outstanding round 2 game on 15th November, ahead of the final round on Wednesday 21st November where Nenagh CBS face Gaelcholaiste Mhuire in round 3 where a win would see them in a strong position to make the quarter finals, while Ardscoil Ris face St Colman's Fermoy likely needing a win to stay in the competition.

Nenagh CBS: Rory Brislane (Toomevara); Brian Keating (Portroe), Conor O’Brien (Portroe 1-0), Darragh Spillane (Toomevara); Conor Bourke (Ballina), Darragh McKelvey (Silvermines), Sean Phelan (Nenagh Eire Og); Oisin Murphy (Silvermines), Darragh Nolan (Silvermines); Conal Moran (Shannon Rovers 0-1), Sean Spillane (Silvermines), Sean Hayes (Kiladangan); Bryan McLoughney (Kiladangan 1-13, 0-10f), Kevin McCarthy (Toomevara 0-4, 3f), Kian O’Kelly (Kilruane MacDonaghs 0-2).

Subs: Conor Hennessy (Nenagh Eire Og 0-1) for S Spillane (37); Ben Cooney (Burgess) for Murphy (54).

Table P W D L +/- Pts

St Colman's, Fermoy 1 1 0 0 +13 2

Ardscoil Ris 2 1 0 1 -2 2

Nenagh CBS 2 1 0 1 -5 2

Gaelcholaiste Mhuire1 0 0 1 -6 0


In Group C, Our Lady's Secondary School Templemore bounced back from the opening day loss to St John the Baptist Hospital, in producing a dominant performance to record a 2-20 to 2-8 victory over Blackwater Community School, Lismore at Littleton.

After 15 minutes, Our Ladys led 0-5 to 0-4 with six of the nine scores coming from placed balls, including all of Lismore’s from the caman of Aaron Ryan. Eventually, Templemore’s superiority began to tell as they scored five of the next six points to lead by double scores after 20 minutes. Blackwater then scored the first goal of the game as a high ball in to the full-forward line was caught by Oisin O’Gorman who turned and hit the back of the net from close range.

That green flag had little effect on the general run of play as Templemore continued to dominate for the remainder of the first half, outscoring their opponents by 1-5 to 0-0 in the last ten minutes with James Devaney scoring an impressive solo goal in the 22nd minute. At the interval, Our Lady’s led 1-15 to 1-5.

Gearoid O’Connor opened the scoring in the second half from a free before Lismore gave themselves a fighting chance as Oisin O’Gorman set up substitute Jordan Murphy for their second goal. Any hopes of a comeback ended in the 38th minute when Conor Ryan hit the back of the net following a rebound off the crossbar and Templemore now led 2-16 to 2-6.

That ended the game as a contest and just six further scores followed in the remaining 22 minutes of the game as Our Lady's Templemore got their Harty Cup campaign back on track.

In this three team group, John The Baptist Community School Hospital have already recorded a 12 point victory over Our Lady's and it would be a significant upset were Blackwater Community School Lismore to win their final game against Hospital on 21 November.

Our Lady's Secondary School, Templemore: Ciarain McCormack (Loughmore/Castleiney); Shane Lowe (Moyne-Templetuohy), Sean Hayes (Moyne-Templetuohy), Henry Fogarty (Durlas Og); Dean Lawlor (Moyne-Templetuohy), Kevin Maher (Borris-Ileigh), Lorcan Roche (JK Brackens); John Campion (Drom & Inch), Kenny Ryan (Toomevara 0-4); Tony Cahill (Drom & Inch), Gearoid O’Connor (Moyne-Templetuohy 0-11, 8f), Conor Ryan (Loughmore/Castleiney 1-2); James Devaney (Borris-Ileigh 1-2), Stephen Maher (Loughmore/Castleiney), Conor McGrath (Loughmore/Castleiney 0-1)
Subs used: Eddie Ryan (Borris-Ileigh), Michael Ryan (Templederry Kenyons).


Table P W D L +/- Pts

St John the Baptist, Hospital 1 1 0 0 +12 2

Our Ladys' Templemore 2 1 0 1 0 2

Blackwater CS, Lismore 1 0 0 1 -12 0


In Group D, Thurles CBS began their campaign with a comfortable 2-22 to 0-6 win over Castletroy College in Nenagh which confirms their place in the knockout stages with the Limerick side having lost both their games in this three team group.

Points from Devon Ryan, Luke Cashin, Eoin Morris and Max Hackett worked Thurles CBS into a 0-6 to no-score lead inside the first quarter before Roscrea's Cashin scored their first goal a minute later as his side cruised into a 1-12 to 0-3 half time lead.

Darren Flood and Eoin Morris cracked over scores during the opening five minutes of the second half and although Castletroy College responded with a brace of their own the Limerick lads struggled to make any real impression as Thurles CBS would fire a further eight points without reply before Castletroy would add their final point on the hour mark.

Sub Paddy Creedon would score Thurles' second goal in added time to top off the win.

Thurles face CBC Cork in the final round with the winner securing top seeding for the quarter final draw.

Thurles CBS: Kevin Bracken (Durlas Og), Jack Ryan (Roscrea), Kieran Moloney (Durlas Og), Jack Taylor (Moyne-Templetuohy), Kevin Hayes (Moycarkey/Borris), Frank Hanafin (Holycross/Ballycahill), Kieran Larkin (Moyne-Templetuohy), Max Hackett (Moycarkey/Borris 0-4), Jack Hickey (Emeralds), Devon Ryan (Knockavilla Kickhams 0-3, 1 65), Eoin Morris (Holycross/Ballycahill 0-3, 1f), Jack Morrissey (Moycarkey/Borris 0-1), Luke Cashin (Roscrea 1-9, 0-5f), Darren Flood (Moycarkey/Borris 0-1), James Synott (Roscrea).

Subs: Eoin Purcell (Durlas Og 0-1) for D Ryan (41); Paddy Creedon (Durlas Og 1-0) for Synott (41); Éanna Ryan (Holycross/Ballycahill) for Morris (46); Edward Meagher (Loughmore/Castleiney) for Flood (52); Barry McGrath (Thurles Sarsfields) for Hackett (56).


Table P W D L +/- Pts

CBC Cork 1 1 0 0 +27 2

Thurles CBS 1 1 0 0 +22 2

Castletroy College 2 0 0 2 -49 0


In group B, De La Salle, Waterford booked their place in the quarter final with a draw against Midleton CBS who now face St Flannan's of Ennis with the winner joining De La Salle in the last eight in January.

Keep up-to-date with the latest news from around the county with an epaper subscription from €2.20*